I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterwards destroyed them that believe not. Jude 5
Grace has been described as unmerited favour obtained from God. We were saved by grace when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour (Jn 1:12; Eph. 2:8; Rom 10:9,10). Receiving the fullness of eternal life after our sojourn here on earth is however premised on our being able to continue in this grace. Many have thought that once you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal savior, eternity is guaranteed. Nothing could be further from the trust.
Below are examples of beings (human, angels and Lucifer) who once lived in grace, but fell from it in the course of time are some unfortunately, were doomed forever. We will do well to pay attention to this.
21 examples of beings fallen from grace
1. Lucifer: He was sinless and walked in the ways of God perfectly until he sinned (Ezek.28:11-17). He fell from God‘s favor and was cast out of heaven (Isa. 14:12-44; Lk.10:18). He became sinful and lustful (Jn. 8: 44) and destined to eternal hell (Mt.25: 41, Rev. 20:1- 10)
2. Holy angels: Over 1/3 of God’s holy angels rebelled with Lucifer (Rev. 12: 3; 7-12) and became destined to hell with Satan (Mt. 25:41: Isa. 24:21). Many of these committed the extra sin of fornication and are now ln hell (2 Pet. 2:4: Jude 6-7). Angels are sons of God (Gen. 6: 1-4; Job 1:6; 2: 1; 38:4-7) and yet those who sin are to be punlshed forever in hell. So sonship is no unforfeitable guarantee of heaven
3. Demons: They were also created sinless and in God’s grace and favor. That they sinned and are doomed to eternal hell is clear from their own Admission of being worthy of punishment (Mt. 8:29; Mk. 5:7; Lk. 8:28-32: Jas. 2: 9). Many of them are now in the abyss (Rev. 9).
4. Pre-adamites: According to Gen 2:1; Isa. 14:12-14, Jer 4:23-26: Ezek. 28:11-17; 2 Pet. 3: 5-8 and other scriptures, Lucifer ruled the earth before Adam end caused all the people of his kingdom to lose God’s favor and be destroyed in the flood of Gen. 1:2, 2 Pet. 3: 5-8.
Not one person, animal, city or plant were left alive (Jer. 4 : 23-26)
5. Adam and Eve: They were created in God‘s grace or favor (Gen. 1: 26-31). They fell from grace by sin and lost the eternal life they would have kept if they had not sinned (Gen. 2:17: 3:1-19: Rom. 5: 12-21: 2 Cor. 11:3). Nothing is ever said of their salvation from sin. They are not listed with faith-worthies of the OT. (Heb. 11). He was a son of God (Lk. 3: 38). Thus again. sonship is proved not to be a guarantee of eternal life. God promised to punish every angel or man who sins, regardless of sonship or relationship.
6. Adamites: Every person born of Adam was once in grace in Adam and fell from grace or favor when he did, for they were in his loins when he sinned. This is why death passed upon all men (Rom. 5: 12-21: 1 Cor. 15: 21-22: 2 Cor. 1:3). If all men fell from the same favor Adam did and are commanded to regaim grace in Christ, then it is settled that falling from grace and regaining it can happen more than once (Gal 4:19)
7. Many Israelites: Before their sin in Ex. 35, they were Born again (Dt. 32: 18: Gal: 4: 28-29), Redeemed (Ex. 15: 13: Dt. 21: 8), Sanctified (Ex. 13:31; Lev. 20: 8) converted (Ps 19:7), in grace (Ex.33 : 12-17, Ps. 84:11), had their names in the book of life (EX. 32:32-33), had the same gospel we have (Gal. 3:6-14; Heb.4:2), and other spiritual experiences. When they sinned they were cut off from God and were lost. (Ex. 32:32-33: 1 Cor. 10:1. 18; Heb. :1-4; Jude 5)
Scores of times they forsook God and were cursed (Dt.17:3; 29:26; judg.2:11-23; 3:5-14; 4.1; 5:31; 6:1; 8:28-35; 10: 6-11, 33; 12:7-13:1; 20:13; 1 Sam. 2: 12-36; 3:11-14; 1 Ki 11:1-13, 38-39: 12:25-33; 13:33-34; 14:16-61: 15:29; 16:2: 2 K1. 17:7-23; etc.)
8. Nadab and Ablhu, holy priests of God (Ex. 1936; 22:31). were cut off in sin (Lev. 10:1-20; Num. 3:4)
9. Korah, Dathan,Abiram and other holy men of God were cut off by sin and went to sheol (Nam. 16:1-3. 23-33)
10. Saul, who had a change of heart and received the Holy Spirit (1 sam. 10: 9-13, 21-24), went into spiritualism (1 Sam. 28: Lev. 19:31; 20: 6). He lost the Holy Spirit (1 Sam. 16:12-23), and died a suicide and cursed of God (1 Sam. 31:1-6: 1. Chron 10:13-14)
11. Many disciples of Jesus left Him and His grace and followed Him no more (Jn. 6:66). They for a while believed (Lk. 8: 13). They drew back to perdition (Heb.10:26-39) T receive Christ and confess him for only a moment brings the new birth. So those who believed for a while had grace to fall from. (Jn1:12, 1 Jn 5:1)
12. Judas was once saved but fell from grace. This is because he was a familiar fried of Christ, (Ps 41:9), had his name written in the book of life, was a bishop of the church of Christ (Acts 1:20), had the Holy Spirit in him (Matt 10:19-20), was ordained into the ministry by Christ, was an apostle etc, but fell by sin from ministry and apostleship(Acts 1:25). Satan only entered into Judas at the close of Christ’s ministry, proving that he was not always an agent of the devil. He therefore backslid and became a thief and a betrayer.
13 Ananias and Sapphira: were saved and of one heart and one soul with all the church (Acts 4:32-5: 1) until they agreed to lie to the Holy Ghost at which time they were killed (Acts 5:141). “Great grace was upon them all“ including Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 4:33; 5:1)
14 The Galatians who had begun in the spirit and had received the Holy Spirit (Gal 3:2-4), were soon removed from Christ and Christ (Gal 1:6; 5:4)
15. Demas, a preacher in the early Church (Col. 4: l4; Ph’m.24) went back into sin, having loved this present world (2 Tim. 4:10). If any man loves the world the love of the Father is not in him. He is lost if he does not come back to God (1 Jn.12; 1 Jn 5:1)
16 Hymenaeus and Alexander were one time in the faith , but made a shipwreck and put away faith (I Tim.1: 19-20)
17. Many others coveted money and erred from the faith (1 Tim. 6:10, 21)
18. Many young widows waxed cold towards Christ and cast off their first faith and were dammed(1Tim 5:11-13)
19 Hymenaeus and Philetus erred from the faith and overthrew the faith of others ( 1 Tim 2:17-19)
20 Apostates were once saved, but fell away and departed from the faith (Rom 1: 21:32; Heb. 6:4-9; 10:26-29; 2Pet 2: 20-22)
21 Many in the churches were once save but later theatened with destruction if they did not repent (Rev. 2:5, 10,16, 20-23: 3:3, 11, 16)
Besides the above examples of being cut off from God because of sin, the Bible abounds with plain laws, commands (about 1,050 in N.T.alone ) and warnings of punishment for those who return to sin. These make it clear that there are no unconditional promises and covenants in Scriptures.
(Adapted from the Dakes Bible)